August 11, 2011

Why many parents don't babywear.

I can't count the times I have been out and about with one of my children in some type of worn carrier when someone came up to me and said something to the extent of, "I tried using one of those things for my baby but [they just didn't like it] [I couldn't figure it out] [it just didn't feel secure enough] [they were too wiggly] [etc.]." I know that babywearing isn't for everyone, and I definitely don't judge those who choose not to, but in my personal day to day life I just couldn't imagine surviving without some kind of wrap or sling to use!

Neither of my children took immediately to a carrier either. With my first, I literally had to train him to be worn. It took a couple of months before he was comfortable to be carried in a sling or wrap but those first weeks of practice and trying again and again and again definitely paid off. I wore him for some part of every day until he was 9 or 10 months old and let me tell you, both of our lives were much happier and more productive for it! In spite of the fact he was a colicky and fussy baby, he was able to be more content for longer periods of time and to still take adequate naps while we were out and about--additionally, I was able to still do most of the daily activities I wanted or needed to be able to do.

In our culture, people spend tremendous amounts of time and energy "training" their babies and children to accept certain things: sleeping in a crib, taking a pacifier, taking a bottle, nap schedules, feeding schedules, being cared for by others, etc. Usually, the motivation for these accommodations are for the convenience of the parents or intended well being of the child. If I could send one message to our parenting culture it would be that babywearing is one of the best means by which convenience and wellbeing are made possible and that learning to babywear would definitely be worth whatever "training" they had to undergo.

From talking to others I have discovered that one of the biggest reasons parents don't babywear is because they don't have adequate information. They either don't even realize it is an option, or they haven't been given the proper information as to how to do it. That status quo is being changed even now though, and I look excitedly toward the future where many more American parents will be able to keep their babies healthy and happy through babywearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment